Baked Reuben Casserole
The key to a successful Reuben Casserole (in my opinion), is to drain the sauerkraut really well.
You don’t want a soggy dish, so drain the sauerkraut in a colander and then squeeze it dry in a dishtowel, wringing out all of the excess liquid before it goes into your casserole.
That way, after it bakes, the casserole is firm and layered just like an Irish version of lasagna!????
Cooking Just for Two? Cut the ingredients in half and prepare casserole in a 1-quart baking dish. Cooking instructions remain the same.
Want to Prep Ahead? Layer all of the ingredients in the dish and keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours (until ready to bake). You may need to add 5-10 minutes to the baking time in order to get the dish heated through if you’re cooking it cold.
How to Make Reuben Casserole in 3 Easy Steps:
- 6 slices rye bread (dark or light) divided use
- 1 pound thinly sliced pastrami or corned beef divided use
- 1 14.5 oz can or jar sauerkraut drained well
- 4 cups shredded Swiss cheese divided use
- 2 tsp caraway seeds divided use
- 1 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs beaten
- ⅓ cup thousand island dressing
- ¼ cup mustard
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray 11×7 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Take four slices of rye bread and cut them into 2-inch cubes.
- Place the remaining slices of rye bread into the food processor and pulse into fine breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Spread cubed bread into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Cover evenly with half of the pastrami.
- Then evenly top with drained sauerkraut, chopped pickles, and 1 tsp. caraway seeds.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded Swiss cheese on top of the sauerkraut layer.
- Next, top with remaining pastrami. I gently push down to help compact it all a bit.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 cups Swiss cheese and 1 tsp. caraway seeds on top of pastrami.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, thousand island dressing, and mustard.
- Pour mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Top with breadcrumbs.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let rest for 5 minutes then slice and serve.